Essential Oils Uses and Benefits: An Introduction
Do you love essential oils? Do you know what they are? Do you know all about its uses?
Well, I’m pretty sure you typically rub them on your skin or put them in your baths thanks to their amazing smell.
Essential oils happen to be mostly used in aromatherapy as well as in household cleaning products and natural medicine treatments.
Well, this is a brief introduction and overview of what essential oils are all about. I will provide you with clearer insights you may find helpful, especially for beginners.
What Are Essential Oils?
Essential oils are useful organic compounds which are primarily extracted from plants with various healing properties. These oils are mainly derived from flower, fruit, bark, seed, leaf, tree, and root. Just one drop of this kind of oil can offer powerful health benefits to your body.
These oils are primarily created using a distillation process. This process separates water-based compounds and the oil of the plant through steaming. The oils are highly concentrated with a strong aroma. By extracting the oils from plants, you are separating healing compounds of the plant into a single oil.
History of Aromatherapy
Since essential oils are already present in most countries these days, it is hard to determine where these oils have originated. Oils have been used by Romans, Greeks, Indians, Chinese and Jews as perfumes and medicinal purposes because of their benefits. There are also other groups of people that make use of oils for spiritual rituals.
First to pioneer and popularize essential oils.
In the year 1928, a French chemist named Rene-Maurice Gattefosse, made use of lavender oils to heal a burn on his hand. The oils miraculously cured his burned skin. He decided to analyze some of the properties of the oil that he had used to determine if it can cure other kinds of skin infections. His research is where the science of essential oils for aromatherapy comes in. The use of essential oil later extended to practitioners of alternative medicines, including beauticians and massage therapist in Europe.
In the 1980s, aromatherapy became popular when added to different candles, lotions, and other fragrances. The benefits of essential oils were realized in the 80s and are gaining immense popularity because of the amazing benefits they offer today.
Essential Oil Applications
Essential oils can be applied in four different ways. The oils can be topically applied, which allows the oils to be penetrated by your skin to acquire internal therapeutic benefits. They can also be used aromatically so inhaling the aroma of the oil can be easily absorbed by the body. You can even apply it through ingestion in the form of medicine. Lastly, essential oils can be used for DIY personal care products, such as homemade shampoo. No matter what kind of application you chose, you will get the natural health benefits they provide.
Essential Oils Uses and Benefits for Better Health
Essential oils contain healthy compounds that offer therapeutic and healing benefits to your body. A list of some of the essential oil benefits for better health includes the following:
- Provides antiparasitic, antioxidant and anti-bacterial protection.
- Improves digestion.
- Alleviates pain.
- Heals different types of skin conditions.
- Relaxes your body and soothes your entire sore muscles.
- Fights flu and cold symptoms.
With the countless number of benefits that essential oil offers, it is not surprising to know that a growing number of people these days are using these oils to improve their overall health.
Essential Oils Uses Chart
Check out this chart of essential oil uses that lists out everything that you and your family can benefit from.
The 24 Benefits of Oils Listed By Category
There are countless benefits for different types essential oils. The amazing benefits of essential oils emanate from their antimicrobial, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. The good news is, this post is going to explore some of the ways to use these oils so you can get a feel of its amazing benefits. Sounds good?
The types listed below are the most popular.
Please browse and learn about the many uses of this natural medicine for better health!
Let’s dive into this essential oils uses guide!
Facial and Skin Beauty
- You can use essential oils as a facial toner by adding equal drops of orange, tea tree oil coupled with lemon oil and 1/2 a teaspoon of coconut oil. Just apply to face once you’re done.
- Want to improve the health of your skin? Well, just add a few drops of sweet birch or peppermint oil to your bath to soothe inflamed skin and speed up the healing process.
- For chapped skin, just put 1 or 2 drops of French lavender oil on the affected area.
- You can also give your lotion a sweet natural scent by adding up to ten drops of your favorite essential oil to your moisturizer.
- Freshen your hair by adding five drops to your hair brush — this will improve the smell of unwashed hair.
- Make your scented nail strengthener by mixing two drops of frankincense oil with 1/2 a teaspoon of coconut oil. Just rub it into your nails to make them stronger.
- Make your acne face wash by mixing tea tree oil with raw honey. Rub on face and rinse off with water.
- You can also use a drop of peppermint essential oil to freshen your breath naturally.
- Whiten your teeth with a mixture of lemon essential oil, coconut oil, and fresh strawberries. Just rub on your teeth and rinse after two minutes.
You can make your all-purpose cleaner by adding three drops of tea tree oil, three drops of clove oil and three drops of lemon oil in two cups of water. This mixture is sure to come in handy for cleaning floors including hardwoods. It’s also great to put the stuff in a spray bottle and use the same to spray your countertops and give it a good wipe.
- Get rid of mold and mildew in your shower area with only four drops tea tree and eucalyptus oil with a cup of water. Just use the mixture to spritz your shower. Learn More Here.
- Use lime or lemon oil to wipe the interior of your refrigerator — this will help tackle bad smells.
- Freshen up your carpet by mixing ten drops of lavender oil and 20 drops of tea tree oil as well as a box of borax. Just sprinkle the mixture on your carpet and allow to sit for some time before vacuuming it up.
- Feeling nauseous? Just get a bottle and add ten drops of peppermint, fennel and lemon oil as well as five tablespoons of carrier oil. Simply rub the same on someone who’s feeling sick.
- Sanitize your hands with just two drops of your favorite essential oil along two tablespoons of grape seed oil. Use when needed.
- Are feet feeling sore? Just add ten drops of peppermint oil as well as ten drops of vetiver to a tablespoon of Epsom salt. Put the mixture in warm water and let your feet bask in its goodness.
- Provide much-needed relief to cramps by mixing two drops of rosemary, basil and Clary sage along with one tablespoon of carrier oil. Just apply on your tummy.
- Headaches? Just one drop each of peppermint and lavender oil in a tablespoon of carrier oil should do the trick. You only have to apply the mixture to your temples for relief.
- Give yourself an energy boost with a combination of bergamot and grapefruit oil coupled with a tablespoon of carrier oil. Rub the mixture on your hands and pulse points to enliven your senses.
- Have a fever? Well, the right mix of essential oils can be an effective remedy to the problem. Just add one drop of lavender, peppermint and eucalyptus oil in 1/4 cup of water and apply to forehead, back, neck as well as other areas to help bring down the fever.
- Can’t sleep? Don’t sweat it. Just add a few drops of lavender or chamomile on your pillow! You’ll be getting your beauty sleep in no time.
- You can also treat bruises by adding one drop of clove and four drops of lavender in a tablespoon of carrier oil. Apply this to the wound to speed up the healing process.
- Fight warts by applying oregano oil on the affected area; remember to cover with a band aid. Just keep at it until the wart is gone.
- Boost circulation by adding 8 to 10 drops of grapefruit oil to your warm bath water.
These are just a few of the many uses of essential oils — there are still tons of things you can do with this amazing scented oils. They can also be used as a pest and bug repellent, to wash fresh produce, detoxify the air, clean dishes and much more.
Just be sure to get your hands on quality ones because not all essential oils are created equal.
Always choose the ones that are certified pure therapeutic grade, and you’ll be well on your way to enjoying its amazing benefits.
Use Essential Oils To Alleviate These 6 Common Problems
Not being able to sleep can have serious repercussions in your day-to-day life. You can fix this problem with a different kinds of essential oils to help you relax your body and your mind. Keep your pains at bay to help you all asleep faster and better. There are many different pure essential oils and essential oil blends that are made specifically for sleep.
Seasonal allergies that cause itchy, watery eyes, sneezing, and other similar symptoms can affect your daily lifestyle in a terrible way. You can take over-the-counter drugs to treat these allergies. Sometimes, you wonder if there are natural ways to treat your allergies. Using essential oils for allergies may provide some relief from your allergy symptoms. The benefits can help treat your symptoms even before they get worse throughout the day.
Anxiety is a growing concern for many Americans. Your jobs, school, family, and love life can make a huge impact in your overall well-being. Minimize the negative effects that may come from your everyday life with aromatherapy and essential oils for anxiety. This is a natural way to eliminate or lessen the feelings of depression and anxiety. So stop popping pills and go the natural route.
Get Rid of Headaches
Headaches impact your daily lifestyle. If you aren’t eating right, not sleeping, or have any other issues with your health, you may get headaches. You can easily take pills that are over-the-counter, but that’s not the natural way to treat your headaches. Using essential oils for headaches can help you quickly and effectively help alleviate your headache the natural way without consuming pharmaceuticals.
Lower Blood Pressure
High blood pressure or hypertension may be caused by your daily lifestyle, stress at home and work, salt, alcohol, or diabetes. There are many drugs that you can take to lower your blood pressure, but they are expensive and do not follow a natural lifestyle regimen. Essential oils for high blood pressure can be used to help regulate your hypertension and alleviate the effects that you may get from that. Check out our recommendations for essential oils for your hypertension.
Bronchitis can put your out of commission for many days. It can even prevent you from going out and going to work. One of the best ways to treat your bronchitis is to use essential oils for bronchitis. This is the best way to treat your illness naturally. If you want to live a more natural lifestyle without the need for prescription drugs, choose essential oils. Breathing in nourishing smells to alleviate your symptoms can help you manage your illness much better. Check out our top essential oils online for bronchitis and achieve relief today.